Founded in 1828, the Borough of Mechanicsburg is a small suburban municipality located in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, just under 2.5 square miles in size and a population hovering around 9,000 residents, with small town charm and a rich history that can be admired in the architecture of historic homes and buildings throughout the Downtown or in the wealth of knowledge at the Mechanicsburg Museum.
The Borough boasts three parks, a community pool, and a growing school district that provides recreational resources to Borough residents and often inspires a lifelong supply of “Wildcat Pride.” The last space for new development in the Borough is currently in progress of a multi-phase project on the South edge of town featuring both residential and commercial installations, and the flourishing downtown is undergoing a revitalization through the Downtown Partnership. The Borough has many civic-minded businesses that actively participate and give back to the community, and it’s not uncommon to find residents, business owners, and employees who have been in the Borough for decades with a strong sense of unity which is what makes the Borough of Mechanicsburg a Good Place to Live.
The Borough of Mechanicsburg is seeking a Borough Manager to serve as the chief administrative officer, working collaboratively with Borough Council and Borough Managers toward the achievement of its vision and goals. This position will manage and direct operations to ensure effective delivery of programs and services, facilitate and direct planning for use of capital resources, recommend policy and procedures to ensure compliance with laws, regulations, and Borough objectives. This position reports to Borough Council and is a great opportunity for a self-starter with the right combination of project management, supervisory experience, and leadership skills.
- Supervise and be responsible for the activities of all municipal departments, except for the Police department and Borough Solicitor, and provide leadership and direction to senior management, including Borough Treasurer, Public Works Director, Codes Officer, Wastewater Treatment Plant Supervisor, and Fire Chief and provide feedback and direction concerning goals, priorities, and objectives; facilitate coordination of cross-departmental opportunities and problem resolution
- Provide administrative oversight to ensure effective delivery of programs and services and adherence to proper ethical standards and guidelines
- Administer contracts for professional services and ensure provisions of all franchises, leases, permits, and privileges granted by the Borough are observed
- Work with the HR department in hiring, and when necessary, terminate employees, administer pay and benefits plans, develop and enforce employment policy and procedures to ensure compliance with laws, regulations, and Borough objectives; assist labor counsel with the negotiation of labor contracts
- Work with the Treasurer to develop and communicate budget objectives, direct use of funds, ensure financial accountability and transparency, and review recommendations for financing strategies; provide periodic reports and a complete report at year-end to Borough Council on the condition of Borough finances
- Serve as primary liaison to Borough Council and understand goals of Council; attend all Borough Council meetings and committees or designate an alternate; plan for presentation of recommendations and reports, participate in discussions concerning projects and policies; develop agenda for Council meetings, provide advice and information on operational matters; serve as a liaison between Council and related Commissions, committees, staff, and the public at large
- Facilitate planning for Borough programs and services and develop recommendations for major projects which impact public health, safety and quality of life, economic development, and Borough operations
- Engage in public relations activities and serve as media contact; resolve questions and complaints from citizens, investigate or direct to appropriate staff, and report to Borough Council; develop plans to communicate issues to the public
- Seek funding and grants for projects
- Be responsible for purchases for all supplies and equipment for departments and offices where mandated
- 4-year degree is preferred; a Master’s degree in Public Administration or a related field is a plus; a combination of education and demonstrated experience will also be considered
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in project management and leadership; municipal government experience is a plus
- Experience in capital project management and funding is required; grant writing is a plus
- Experience in employee management with proven ability to lead and motivate a dedicated team of employees
- Knowledge of PA municipal law, regulations and local government principles is preferred
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office suite and comfort with technology is required
- Demonstrated knowledge of government budgeting, accounting, finance, and procurement practices
- Organized team player who is considerate and able to work well with others, including residents, co-workers, employees, vendors, consultants, and contractors
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with an active governing board and to maintain effective working relationships with the Borough Council and other municipal officials
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and decision-making skills with the ability to resolve issues
- Strong work ethic with high personal standards for quality of work
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong time management skills and ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines and able to respond to changes in priorities
- A valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License is required
- Borough of Mechanicsburg residency is preferred but not required
Please do not call the office or send hard copy resumes. We carefully consider every application, but we can only accept applications made through this site.