Director of Procurement
Franklin County is located in South Central Pennsylvania between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. The southern boundary of the County is also the boundary between Pennsylvania and Maryland, also known as the Mason-Dixon Line.
With the diversity of Franklin County’s economic base, the residents enjoy the advantages of both urban and rural opportunities within the County. To best serve our population of 150,000, we want the best people working for our residents: people who want to make a difference and want to give back to their community. More...
Franklin County, PA is seeking a Director of Procurement to join the County’s Management team. This position is responsible for the procurement of all goods, supplies and services in accordance with federal, state and local laws, ordinances, rules and regulations for the County.
A successful candidate will need to have 3 to 5 years’ experience in public purchasing including supervisory responsibilities.
- Supervise the timely procurement of all goods, supplies and services needed, in accordance with County Code and applicable federal, state and local laws, policies and procedures, including review and monitoring of procurements conducted by any designee, department, agency or official, to ensure compliance
- Recommend policies and procedures to the Fiscal Director and County Administration regarding the procurement of goods, supplies and services in order to improve upon the process
- Research market sources and vendors to locate and ensure the most cost-effective and competitive pricing for the purchase of supplies and services
- Prepare and issue solicitation documents, including bids and requests for proposal (or review and approve those prepared by others) and coordinate with the County Solicitor to ensure contracts and solicitations conform to County Code and regulations
- Oversee receipt and evaluation of proposals and bids; award or recommend the award of contracts to the Board of Commissioners
- Conduct or assist others in conducting negotiations with suppliers on proposals, contracts and contract claims
- Prepare or supervise the preparation of contractual documents with suppliers and review and execute contracts, purchase orders, change orders and other documents within delegated authority
- Formulate, in conjunction with County departments, short-term, and long-term strategic procurement plans in order to maximize buying power and minimize inefficiencies
- Attend and participate in purchasing groups for the purpose of gaining pricing advantages
- Represent the department to other governmental departments, other public agencies, suppliers, and the Board of Commissioners and serve on boards and committees as requested, some of which may be outside of normal working hours
- Participate with County management in developing fleet vehicle procedures, fixed asset inventory guidelines and alternative purchasing methodologies
- Compile and maintain an operating inventory of all leased equipment that will facilitate timely replacement, upgrades, and prevent lapses of service
- Develop, recommend and monitor the departmental budget and prepare or direct the preparation of reports which accurately represent the department’s activities
- Delegate authority and assign work to subordinate staff commensurate with their qualifications and existing workload and review the work of staff to insure compliance with applicable laws, policies and procedures
- Prescribe operational procedures governing the procurement functions, and the disposal, transfer and reutilization of personal property and equipment, consistent with all applicable laws, policies and rules
- Perform other job related duties to ensure the accomplishment of the strategic priorities of the County, as assigned
- 4-year degree (or equivalent) from an accredited college or university in Business or Public Administration, Business Law, Finance, Purchasing or related field is required; any combination of education, training, and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered
- 3 to 5 years of progressively responsible experience in public purchasing, including supervisory responsibilities, is required
- Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB), Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM) or Certified Public Procurement Officer (CPPO) certification is preferred; may substitute for a portion of the required education or experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of modern principles and practices of governmental procurement and supply-chain management and business practices related to purchasing
- Comprehensive knowledge of laws, policies and procedures governing public procurement, including Pennsylvania County Code and contract law
- Knowledge and experience with principles, practices and techniques of administration, organization, budget preparation, personnel management, supervision, training and development, financial administration and public relations
- Ability to analyze commodity requirements, interpret market prices and trends, and apply interpretations to procurement issues
- Considerable knowledge of principles of management analysis (such as spend analysis and cooperative purchasing) and organization design necessary to formulate and implement administration practices
- Ability to identify and implement information technology solutions related to electronic purchasing systems
- Possess skills and comfort using modern software technology to improve efficiency including Microsoft Office and Internet applications
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills and presentation abilities
- Ability to use appropriate judgment and initiative in making recommendations and resolving problems that are highly complex and sensitive in nature
- Comprehensive skill in researching and preparing highly complex and technical contracts
- Strong work ethic with high personal standards for quality of work
- Organized, team player who is considerate and able to work well with others
- Possess a valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License and willingness to travel as needed to complete job duties
Please do not call the office or send hard copy resumes. We carefully consider every application, but we can only accept applications made through this site.