Nestled primarily in York County, Pennsylvania and conveniently located to nearby York, Gettysburg, and Baltimore, Maryland, the Borough of Hanover continues to grow in its number of residents served and new homes built, all while continuing to maintain its natural beauty through preservation efforts on behalf of our municipalities and various non-profit organizations. The Borough of Hanover owns and operates a water system encompassing the municipalities of Conewago Township and McSherrystown Borough in Adams County, and Penn Township in York County, an intermunicipal wastewater treatment system and a refuse and recycling collection program within the Borough.
The Borough is currently undergoing a substantial streetscape project to improve the appeal of our downtown environment. This will make the downtown more appealing to residents, businesses, and visitors. Downtown revitalization is a current priority in collaboration with community members and organizations such as the Mainstreet Hanover and the Hanover Area Chamber of Commerce to improve the appeal of the downtown area and ignite that hometown character in our community. Several significant water and sewer infrastructure projects also are in planning/implementation phase, as well as the first full year of the Borough’s Stormwater Authority administration.
The Borough of Hanover is seeking a Borough Manager to oversee the management of day to day operations, help to modernize the municipality and participate in the development of a forward-looking strategy for the Borough. This is a challenging and exciting opportunity for an individual with the right combination of experience, leadership skills, and vision.
- Supervise all activities of seven (7) municipal departments which include Zoning and Code Enforcement, Library, Water Meters, Water Distribution, Water and Sewer Treatment, Public Works, and Finance and Administration, as well as managerial representation for the Hanover Area Fire & Rescue Commission
- Administer the budget approved by Borough Council and prepare suggested budget annually
- Attend and participate in all Borough Council meetings and committees, and serve as Borough liaison for various local, County, and State agencies
- Assist the Borough Secretary in preparation of the meeting agendas and committee reports
- Serve as Purchasing Officer of the Borough and be responsible for purchases for all supplies and equipment for departments and offices
- Review and monitor provisions of all franchises, leases, grants, permits and contracts granted by the Borough
- Oversee hiring of employees and take appropriate disciplinary action when necessary in accordance with civil service provisions in the Borough Code
- Oversee collection of payments due to the Borough
- Investigate complaints made regarding services or personnel of the Borough and report findings to Borough Council
- The Borough Manager reports to the Borough Council
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Political Science or a related field is required (a combination of education and demonstrated experience will be considered)
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in municipal government leadership with consistent, demonstrated career progression.
- Demonstrated knowledge of PA municipal law, regulations, and local government principles
- Proven ability to lead and motivate a dedicated team of employees
- Organized team player who is considerate and able to work well with others
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with an active governing board and to maintain effective working relationships with the Borough Council and other municipal officials
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with all stakeholders in a municipal environment, including residents, employees, vendors, consultants, collective bargaining units, elected officials, oversight agencies, and contractors
- Demonstrated knowledge of government budgeting, accounting, finance, enforcement, and procurement practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong work ethic with high personal standards for quality of work
- Strong time management abilities
- A valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License is required.
- Borough of Hanover residency is preferred, but not required.
A complete job description for this position can be found at https://ecode360.com/6457924
Please do not call the office directly or send hard copy resumes. We carefully consider every application, but we can only accept applications made through this site.