Controller - Hardwood Lumber
Founded by Clair “Pete” Peterman in 1979, Peterman Lumber provides top quality hardwood lumber, plywood, and moulding for its customer’s building needs. Sitting on an 11 acre corporate yard and a customer service center in Fontana, CA, the company also has large distribution facilities in Las Vegas and Phoenix.
Our working environment is friendly and team oriented, but fast paced. We pride ourselves on being the largest, most efficient supplier of architectural lumber products in the region.
Peterman Lumber is seeking a seasoned accounting professional with a positive attitude to direct the financial operations of our team as Controller. Successful candidates should have strong communication skills, strong analytical skills and be well organized. As Controller, this individual will manage the accounting team and directly assist the owners on all financial matters relating to budget management, cost-benefit analysis, forecasting needs and internal control.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare operating budgets and financial forecasts in coordination with the various departments; analyzes financial information, monitors budgeted versus actual expenditures and advises management team about variances and their potential causes; recommends corrective actions to help assure that budget goals are met
- Supervise accounting department including accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Directs or prepares monthly trial balance and resulting financial statements, including income statements, balance sheets and statement of changes in financial condition, along with required supporting schedules and other data necessary for financial reports and records
- Formulate, receive and recommend policy proposals relating to accounting and auditing, budgeting, revenue and cost control procedures
- Works with the company’s external auditors and accountants
- Reconcile monthly ledgers including receivables, payables, bank and other asset accounts, and wage accounts
- Prepare or supervise preparation of applicable federal, state and local tax returns
- Provide consistent analytics on inventory
- Supervise the drawing of checks and audits cash and charge expenditures
- Review and negotiate contracts
- Participate in meetings with timely reporting and analysis
- Process ACH and wire transfers
- Process monthly commissions
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, business or related degree is required;
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience, e.g. accounting, controller or similar position
- Experience in distribution and/or logistics is a plus
- Experience showing consistent career progression into a senior leadership role
- Experience with banking services, agreements, borrowing requirements, and compliance issues.
- Complete understanding of financial analysis, budgeting, cash flow, payroll and HR administration
- Ability to meet financial deadlines in preparation of financial reports and statements
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Outlook, Word) required
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong work ethic with high personal standards for quality of work
- Organized, team player who is considerate and able to work well with others
- Possess a high degree of creativity and can think “big picture”
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Please do not call the office or send hard copy resumes. We carefully consider every application, but we can only accept applications made through this site.