Chief Operating Officer - Commercial Real Estate
Camp Hill, PA
Smith Land & Improvement Corporation is a fourth generation commercial real estate development firm driven by a longstanding mission of Commitment to Community. Opportunities for Enterprise.™ Headquartered in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, the company has a well-respected history of responsible and responsive real estate development.
Managing a portfolio of more than 40 retail, commercial, and industrial properties throughout the Mid-Atlantic, the Smith Land team is guided by a conservative development philosophy and a fixation on building equity.
We are seeking a Chief Operating Officer (COO) to join our executive team to provide financial oversight and analysis, while also contributing to business strategy and execution within our organization. This position will play an active role in decision making on commercial real estate projects while attaining key financial and operational performance goals.
If you are interested in being a part of a strong and growing family-owned company, we encourage you to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and analyze options, recommend solutions and solves complex issues using effective analytical skills
- Participate in the identification, development, and analysis of possible commercial real estate development projects
- Oversee financial planning, forecasting, and cost management, and work with President and CEO to ensure positive financial results across multiple lines of business.
- Facilitate company success through financial forecast updates, cost analysis support, and real-time interpretation of monthly financial information. Ensure timely and consistent preparation of quarterly and year-end financial statements, bank reporting, financial analyses and any other ad hoc reports requested by executive management
- Ensure annual financial statements are prepared in accordance with U.S. GAAP and federal, state and other required supplementary schedules and information
- Oversee cash flow planning and ensure cash levels are monitored properly, including preparation of reports
- Continually assess and evaluate opportunities to provide additional data to sales, operations and the leadership team in decision-making processes
- Meet frequently with the team to discuss, review and analyze the financial status of the organization
- Maintain internal controls in existing processes and related accounting policies and procedures on a daily basis.
- Provide leadership and critical control of all the strategic and day-to-day aspects of finance and accounting, credit and collections
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts and report variances
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Help to maintain a strong and positive company culture that values people
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or related degree is required;
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant experience, e.g. COO, CFO, controller, senior commercial lender, or similar position
- Experience in both commercial real estate development and/or commercial banking is a plus
- Experience showing consistent career progression into a senior leadership role
- Experience with banking services, agreements, borrowing requirements, and compliance issues.
- Complete understanding of financial analysis, budgeting, cash flow, payroll and HR administration
- Ability to meet financial deadlines in preparation of financial reports and statements
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Outlook, Word) required
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong work ethic with high personal standards for quality of work
- Organized, team player who is considerate and able to work well with others
- Possess a high degree of creativity and can think “big picture”
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Please do not call the office or send hard copy resumes. We carefully consider every application, but we can only accept applications made through this site.